Monday, October 06, 2008

Linotype University VI

My head is swimming with all the information I learned from Linotype University, even though I could only make it for 3 short days (the entire workshop lasts for 7 days). We worked mainly on 3 Merganthaler Model 31 Linotypes, but we also learned how to cast type with a Ludlow, how to cast new composition rollers, and finally printed our cast type on a few various presses. I had a great time and will put this new knowledge to work at the Homestead Historic Print Shop, at least until it gets too cold to work in the barn. While I sort through all this information, you can see the photos here.


Linotype University is held each fall in Denmark, Iowa, at the Working Linotype Museum. I highly recommend it.

If you're not sure what a linotype is or how one works, Metal Type has posted this instructional documentary filmed in 1960 (shown in two parts).

While you're at my Picasa site, you're welcome to browse other albums ("Studio at the Vine" has photos of my new Kelsey 5x8).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jessica, I would like to know how your new Kelsey rollers are working for you. I enjoyed seeing the rollers being cast in your pictures from Linotype University. I don't have a blog ID to use for now, but I am thinking about writing of my recently acquired case of Linotype fever. :) I also own a Kelsey that will soon come out of retirement.

Jessica C. White said...

hi there,

the composition rollers we cast worked surprisingly well, considering that they didn't cast so nicely. i think that the composition cooled too fast as we poured it into the mold, so little air pockets were trapped and left holes on the roller surface (one fairly large one). despite the indentations, the type inked up and printed reasonably well.

i'm leaving the roller as-is for now, while i'm just tinkering around, but once i really start cranking out prints i'll probably switch over to the more reliable rubber rollers.

*j